Major uses Of Hastelloy C276 in Chemical Processing
The process of changing a single or more chemicals and compounds with the help of chemical reactions requires different materials. More often, these chemical processing tasks require certain equipment such as pressure vessels, heat exchangers, piping, fitting, flanges, evaporators, and valves. Due to the presence of harsh and tough conditions that are found in the solutions used in the chemical processing industry, the high performance of Hastelloy C-276 is important. The alloy comes with certain corrosion-resistant properties that serve the purpose of the chemical industries.
Apart from the operating conditions, these industries often use different kinds of acids such as nitric, formic, and hydrofluoric compounds that are known for creating corrosion. Quite naturally, alloy C-276 is widely used to prevent corrosion as nickel is its principal constituent. The alloy prevents the formation of grain boundary precipitates in the heat affected zones of welding and makes it a preferred item used for fabrication of the process equipment.
Studying the properties of C-276
The following are some of the major properties of alloy C-276 making it highly usable fr the chemical processing industries.
- The sheet, pipe, and the plate materials made from Hastelloy C-276 not only show excellent resistance to the oxidizing agents that are usually found in chemical processing.
- It is also resistance to the cupric and ferric chlorides, sea water, acetic anhydride, the hot and contaminated mineral acids along with the chlorine dioxide solutions.
- The alloy has the potential to operate in the oxidizing atmospheres ad temperatures up to 1900 degrees Fahrenheit and resist, crevice, cracking, and pitting corrosion.
- It is widely used in the heat exchangers, evaporators, transfer piping, and the reaction vessels primarily due to its ability to resist the harsh conditions prevailing in the chemical processing industries that result in stress corrosion cracking and pitting corrosion.
- It can also resist the bad effects of wet chlorine gas, chlorine dioxide, and hypochlorite.
- In a wide range of corrosive media such as the sulfur compounds and chloride ions, the alloy is high functional.
Several chemical industries use this nickel-based alloy and its wires to prevent pitting and crevice corrosion. Quite naturally, the chemical processing industry is the primary hub where you will come across extensive use of this material for the prevention of corrosion.
Applications of Hastelloy C276
The alloy C-276 is not only resistant to stress corrosion cracking, but it also stays intact in the chloride bearing solutions. It is easy to weld and form and can sustain properly in the oxidizing and the non-oxidizing acids due to the molybdenum and chromium content of this material. In the presence of chlorides and halides, this material is considered exceptionally corrosion-resistant. In fact, the material now finds multipurpose uses in the chemical due to its extensive capacity of preventing corrosion in the harsh environments that usually prevails in these industries. It is necessary to check the quality of the alloy used for imparting the same grade of work or quality.