Applications Of Hastelloy C276 In Chemical Processing
Chemical processing refers to the method of altering one or more compound or chemicals with the help of chemical reactions. The process makes use of several equipment such as heat exchangers, evaporators, flanges, pressure vessels, fittings, valves and pumps. Due to extreme conditions prevailing in the operations that are often found in the solutions that are extensively found in the chemical process industry, using Hastelloy C-276 is a suitable option. This nickel-based alloy comes with corrosion-resistant properties that may be required in the chemical process industry.
Due to the prevalence of sulfuric, nitric, phosphoric, acetic, and hydrochloric acids along with hydrofluoric compounds in the chemical processing industries, the resistance of Hastelloy C 276 proves highly effective. The substance also resists the formation of grain boundary precipitates in the weld heat affected zones making it the right choice for the equipment needed in chemical processing and fabrication.
Properties of Hastelloy C276
The following are the properties of this nickel-based alloy and it becomes easy to determine why the substance is preferred for using in the chemical processing industry.
- The sheet, pipe and plate materials made from Hastelloy C 276 shows resistance to cupric and ferric chlorides, acetic anhydride, hot and contaminated mineral acids, brine solutions, sea water, and acetic anhydride.
- The alloy also shows effective resistance towards the corrosive impact of wet chlorine gas, chlorine dioxide solutions, and hypochlorite.
- The nickel based alloy C276 can be used in oxidizing atmospheres up to temperatures of 1900 degrees Fahrenheit and also prevents the harmful effects of cracking, pitting, crevice, and general corrosion.
- The qualities and the properties of this alloy makes it a suitable choice to be used in the heat exchangers, evaporators, reaction vessels, and transfer piping. Due to the structural quality of this material to stay intact under the harsh chemical processing conditions and the ability to resist the temperatures that result in pitting, cracking, crevice, and general corrosion, the alloy can be suitably used in the equipment of the chemical process industries.
- The Hastelloy C 276 can be welded and processed with the help of the standard shop fabrication processes. Apart from this, it can be hot and cold formed with ease and can be welded with the standard procedures.
- The substance can be properly machines when it stays in the annealed condition and does not harden by heat treatment.
- Finally, the high corrosion resistance capacity of this material makes it the right choice for chemical processing.
Reasons for using C 276 in chemical processing
Why is Hastelloy C 276 widely used in the chemical processing industries? The following offers a quick glimpse of the reasons.
- The Hastelloy C276 is not only ductile, but it shows high resistance to the chloride bearing solutions and stress corrosion cracking.
- The alloy can be easily formed and welds as well.
- It can resist the oxidizing and the non-oxidizing acids due to the high content of molybdenum and chromium.
- The alloy also shows resistance to stress corrosion cracking and sulfide stress cracking that occurs in the atmosphere of sour oilfield.